Friday, November 25, 2011

Yes, I'm anti Cesar Milan... and proud of it!

As an aspiring dog trainer I've spent a lot of time studying dogs on my own. I've never had any formal training except animal first aid when it comes to anything I know that is dog related. Although, I've done obedience and trick classes with my dogs and have gone to 4H type seminars.

So, one thing I can tell you is that positive reinforcement is currently accepted as the best way to train a dog. Cesar Milan despite much criticism and outreach from the dog community, still uses dominance only methods when it comes to dog training. Like me he has had no formal training, but has failed to watch and learn what actually works.

Needless to say I really really hate Cesar Milan. Like really really really. This is probably the worst thing you could say about anybody... but I think I would be happy to hear that he is dead. And I never say that about anybody, I'm usually not like that. Although I would be more ecstatic to hear he has changed his ways. and I hate that he gets so much attention nationwide and around the world. He became such a celebrity that people actually listen to him.

The only theory that I agree with Cesar on is to be a "pack leader". But not in the way he means. Like Cesar, I find that a lot of people spoil their dogs and then complain about the dogs behavior. All they have to do is train the dog and not let it get away with bad behavior even if its "cute". Its that simple. If you want a dog take the time to train it to become a dog with good manners. Its really not that hard.

So, if you still think Cesar is great... check out these articles and videos.
http://dogwilling.weebly.com/tv-trainers---dont-try-this-at-home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment