Thursday, December 8, 2011

What Star Trek (and my husband) have taught me

Growing up my father watched Star Trek. I never really cared for it. Seemed like a sci-fi show only a dork would watch.  (yes I'm calling my father a dork... he's a computer software engineer with no social skills to speak of)

Then I first "met" my husband (via facebook) and saw that he was into Star Trek. When a friend asked me what I thought of him (this was before I even met him) I said (literally) "he's into Star Trek, nuff said". Needless to say I am now married to him.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this isn't to say don't judge people before you even meet them. Russ convinced me to watch Star Trek with him. First, The Next Generation, which is his favorite. I still couldn't get into that much until we watched a good amount of the show and I finally saw the series finale. The finale really got me, everything came around full circle and summed up the show incredibly. After that I didn't complain so much when he wanted to watch TNG.

I also watched the Original Series. which still sucks. Kirk gets on my nerves and the acting is soooo bad. I also watched most of the movies and slept through all but one or two of them. Although I think the new movie is good even though true Trekkies hate it.

However, what I have come to really love is watching Deep Space Nine. We've been watching via streaming Netflix for the last month and today we finally finished (7 Seasons!). Although I missed half the episodes because Russ watches them after I go to bed, I really got into the show.

What my husband loves about any Star Trek isnt the technical sci-fi side, he's always watched it for the moral values and deep characters. I have to say the DS9 is even less technical than TNG. DS9 is really mostly about the characters and their lives on the station. So many episodes are deep in moral values, heartwarming or just plain fun. A lot of tearjerkers if you ask me. To top that off most of the show they are deep within a very deadly war and you do see the dark side of war.


give TV shows a chance, give people a chance. Dont judge prematurely.
They might surprise you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment