Thursday, December 1, 2011

Arizona wedding recap

All in all, our trip to Arizona was great! I loved having a long weekend away, seeing someplace new, spending time with Russ' family and of course holding that yorkie pup and baby!

The wedding itself was great. Friday when we flew in we went to the rehearsal dinner. Then Saturday was the wedding and on Sunday was a brunch. I met my cousin-in-law's fiance for the first time, I didn't get to talk to her very much because I can be terribly shy. Her family came over on the mayflower... how cool is that? But they were kind of waspy and I felt hat had something to do with it.

Anyway, comparing their wedding to ours and the few others that I've been to, it has really gotten my thinking about 1 thing... what makes a wedding good? memorable? fun?
 Russ and I are snobs. We like to say our wedding was the best. To our credit his parents couldn't stop talking about how much better our wedding was that whole weekend in Arizona. Especially saying that I looked prettier in my dress (and CIL's wife is gorgeous! like cheerleader or model pretty!) and that's saying something because the only time pretty told me I was beautiful was at my wedding.

So here a few things "thoughts" so to speak...

Arizona wedding--
-It was clear they spent a lot of money (it was paid for by the bride's family)
-The rehearsal dinner was at brides grandparents house. OMG the house was amazing. Had actual mariachi band playing outside and you could see the city lights from the porch.
-wedding itself- at the nicest country club in the city. amazing place, must have been wicked expensive.
-ceremony on lawn at sunset
- hills glowed behind them as the sun set
-we sat or dining room chairs on grass watered with water the state does not have!
-attempted to combine two religion for the ceremony
-had a episcopal minister officiate
-had a chupah, did blessing over wine, broke glass (that was the extent of jewishness)
-minister said that "Mazal Tov" means "to life" (it actually means good luck but can mean good job or congrats) MIL and I went up to him afterwards and set him straight.
-the photographers didn't use a flash the whole night and it was dark outside- are their pictures going to come out?
-cocktail hour was right next to where the ceremony took place. It was outside and it got cold out! I like that there were string lights over the area. the duck something or  other was good.
-then after what seemed like a cocktail hour that took all day we went into the reception. It was inside. table decorations were nice. they had mad-libs, cute, no guest book.
-doors opened to a patio that had the dance floor & DJ. so it kind let the cold air in.
-the evening went like this... salad, dinner, speeches, dancing & dessert
-the speeches went on forever. The bride's sister (picture a blonde Kate Middleton) sort of MC'd and she kept asking if anyone else had something else to say... and people did! it got so long and repetitive drunk and kind of stupid. Obviously I hated that part.
then the food- cold vegetables, grilled gnocchi and beef. I like the beef but it wasn't spectacular. Nobody liked the food. and for such an expensive venue. even the next day Russ' relatives all said they didnt like the food. Its literally all I remember. bad food. really ruins a wedding.
- the the real worst part .... the dancing. They started with their first dance. (oh and btw the couple was never announced in anyway). they just slow danced. then I beleive they did parent dance (mother son & father daughter). then we did they started the gorup dancing with the hora, a wonderful fun jewish tradition that Russ and I were very excited for... but considering we are the most observant jews on the groom's side... nobody new how to do the dance! I have ever in my life experienced that. ever. it was mind blowing (there are people that dont know the hora? I thought everyone knew the hora!) i'm so naive! so everyone on the dance floor just stood there in the circle surrounding the bride & groom being lifted on chairs and kept clapping and raising their arms and going into the center of the circle.
-that's all the dancing we did. the music was terribly loud. the DJ plays four bars if every song, no beginning no end, the dance floor was small so people were crammed together and just jumped around and grinding. it was like being at a club. gross. not while your grandparents are there thank you.
- and last but not least dessert... apple pie, pumpkin pie, ice cream and popcorn. cute, but no cake. eh. the couple isn't really into cake so its understandable.

so this has gotten long. I'll update again with a few conclusions about what makes a wedding good. and maybe get some pics of the wedding in here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment